Avantor Services provides support so customer can focus on detecting COVID-19 and developing the coronavirus vaccine
One of our global customers has been working to address the COVID-19 pandemic, with a focus on testing patient samples to detect the presence of the virus and developing the coronavirus vaccine.
With governments expanding diagnostic testing for COVID-19, life sciences companies must adjust testing capacities to meet increased demand – all while working to develop breakthrough vaccines and treatments. This leads to new challenges for these companies.
When increasing diagnostic testing capacity to handle growing sample volumes and fast-tracking vaccine development, our customer faced two challenges: Increased supply chain complexity across multiple sites; and increased waste. Our customer knew that managing inventory levels, including ensuring they have stockroom management protocols and point-of-use stocking capabilities, and reinforcing proper waste management processes were key to their success, and reached out to Avantor to help.
Our Avantor Services experts from our Lab & Production Services team instituted a strong, centralized inventory management solution to meet our customer’s needs – minimizing stockouts and ensuring products are exactly where they’re needed, when they’re needed. Our experts also established new waste management solutions.
Specifically, Avantor Services has:
- Developed a new onsite supply chain replenishment setup, including the management of a central stock room and multiple stock locations
- Implemented multi-shift replenishment model during weekends, enabling a continuous flow of supplies for testing
- Created a process to identify and find alternative products, such as chemicals, reagents and consumables, in case there’s a stock shortage or new products become in-demand
- Leveraged a tracking system to proactively manage supplies, ensuring labs are continuously restocked and there is no impact on testing output
- Approached inventory management holistically, so that our customer’s entire supply chain is managed by Avantor Services, with daily and weekly inventory updates
- Established new waste management protocols and solutions to handle significantly increased volumes
Our collaboration, agility, innovation and customer centricity enabled a comprehensive solution for our customer. In a very short time, our customer has increased diagnostic testing capacity to over 10,000 samples per week. In addition, they are able to fast-track the research and development of a potential coronavirus vaccine.
Avantor’s experts were relied on to manage inventory and provide scientific services, including media preparation and waste management. As a result, our customer is able to focus on science that has the potential to improve patient outcomes.